home   |   contact us   |   prospectus  

Pre-arrival Information

This page provides vital information to the prospective students. To make life easier and to help one adjust quickly to new environment it is vital for the student to read and understand all the content.


The college has no Hall of Residence (college owned accommodation) There is, however, a wide variety of hostel accommodation within the London area where overseas students are welcome, such as International Student House (ISH). International Student House is inexpensive accommodation for international students, which is situated in central London and would be a good place to be based to explore and see the sites of London.

International Student House
Tel: +44 (0)20 7631 8310
Email: accom@ish.org.uk
Website: www.ish.org.uk

By September most student hostels are normally full, therefore it is best to have your accommodation arranged beforehand by a friend or relative. Our Student Advisers maybe able to send you information on local availability. The advisers can be contacted on 020 7613 9267, 020 7613 9002 or 020 7613 9191. Lists of hostels are also available from your nearest British Council office. If you do not wish to stay in a hostel you could rent a room in a private house or flat. Prices range from £280-£360 per month.
Or you can contact Mr. Kongo Estates they can assist in identifying and availing rooms of different sizes and costs near to the college in the following areas, Barking, Ilford, Eastham, Forest Gate, Stratford and Hackney. The price ranges between £55-£85 per person, per week. For more information contact Mr. Kongo on telephone 07944291455 or 0798363818.

For those wishing to study in our Birmingham Campus, private accommodation is cheaper ranging between £180-260 per month. Note the prices refer to shared accommodation. This means a big house of several bedrooms shared. The occupants share common facilities such as kitchen, sitting room, dinning room and show room. Students with higher income can also rent their own houses.

Living Expenses

Prices are continually rising in the London. Therefore you should remember that all costs, for example, college fees, accommodation charges and travelling expenses, are likely to be out of date by the time you are in your second or third year. When you make your calculations as to whether or not you can afford to come to this country to study you should take this into consideration.
Students in London need approximately £800 per month and those outside London £600 per month. This should cover the cost of your accommodation, food, clothes and other basic needs.


You will need strong waterproof shoes and a coat, warm woollen cardigans and pullovers, trousers or skirts - also a hat, scarf and gloves. It is quite usual for women to wear trousers. Most houses in the UK are centrally heated, but you will still need warm night-clothes, pyjamas or night-dresses, slippers and a dressing gown. If you do not bring these clothes with you, you should have at least between, £150-£300 in order to be able to buy them when you arrive.


In the London area the minimum single cash bus fare is £2 and the minimum single cash tube fare is £4. (For current fares please check with Transport for London http://www.tfl.gov.uk/ as fares change from time to time) Transport for London who run the bus and tube services also have a pre-paid ticketing system called the Oyster card, which provides reduced cost travel. A single bus fare on the oyster costs £1.00 while on the tube a single fare would be £1.50. You can also get oysters cards as weekly and monthly passes.
If you plan to buy or hire a car in the UK remember that new residents may drive on a valid overseas licence for only 12 months from the date of arrival. Depending on your country of origin you must take a driving test or convert your license during this period, after which you must hold a Great Britain driving license and appropriate insurance. It is compulsory for anyone riding a moped or motor cycle to wear a regulation crash helmet. You must know the Highway Code.

Health Issues

You should register with a local doctor, also called a general practitioner (GP) as soon as you have settled and have a permanent address. You can get a list of the local GPs from your public library, or a list is also available on the NHS direct website www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk

Course Fees

In addition to the living expenses mentioned above you will also have to pay tuition fees. The overseas fee for a full-time course changes each year, so please call +44 20 8986 7879 for the up-to-date cost. The overseas fee applies to all non EU/EEA nationals who do not have permanent settlement along with the required three years residency.

Students from countries which have strict exchange control regulations should make arrangements to have the funds to pay their fee ready in advance.

Passports, Visas, Official Documents

Now is the time to start making some general enquiries about obtaining the necessary documents. The person should go to the nearest British representative at the British Embassy or British High Commission. You can also find information regarding visas on UK visas web site at www.ukvisas.gov.uk. But for students from EU or EEA they are excempted from the above conditions. You should have already applied for a place on a course and immediately you'll receive a letter of acceptance from the College you should start to obtain the necessary documents.

All prospective students from Non EU or EEA countries will require the following documents to support their visa application.
1. A valid passport or travel document.
2 Letter of unconditional or conditional acceptance for a full-time course at the college.
3. Evidence that you have paid 1st yeat tuition fee and enough money for your living expenses . This can be done by sending or taking along your bank statements with a minimum balance of £7200 If you will be studing in London and £5400 for outside London.The money must be in your bank account for a minimum of 28 days.
4. Academic credentials form various academic institutions you had attended before. These should be produced as original copies.
5. Valid international vaccination certificates if there have been cases of diseases such as Cholera in your area.
6. Fill Visa Application form either online or obtain a printed one from the consular office near you. Fill it and abide by all other requirements stated.
7. Do not attempt to travel on a visitor's visa with the idea of changing it once you are UK. For more information visit www.ukvisas.gov.uk

Student Working Regulation

You are not permited:-
• Do business; be self-employed or provide services as a professional sports person or entertainer.
• Work full-time or part time.
* If the UK Immigration Office at the point of entry or there after has any grounds to suspect that you are not genuine students, they may refuse to allow you to enter the UK or deport you from UK.
Failure to abide by the above stated working regulations and conditions might result to revocation of your visa and deportation from UK.


London is a big city where there are many super-markets and grocery markets scattered all over the city. Some of the big super-market names are Asda, Morrison, Tesco and many others. Most of the basic food items, electronics and household items can be found in these supermarkets. Most of the times in each centre there are shopping malls where you can find the supermarkets and many other high street shops and banks. Stratford centre is the closest centre to the college. Within the centre there is a Mall with all kind of shops offering different products and several banks.

There many grocery markets around London, for example Queens market in Green street East London and Kingsland market in Dalston, Hackney. Where one can purchase are all kinds of fresh food stuffs from different parts of the world. It is important to note that one should allocate at least 50 pounds per week for feeding and household expenses.

Leisure and worship

There are several leisure centres located in major cities in UK, Including London and Birmingham. Most of these leisure centers and clubs will charge a small fee monthly for membership. One needs to visit and register with them, our student support team will provide and help in identifying the most suitable centre for you.

There are also many worship places in all UK major cities and towns. There are temples, churches, mosques, and synagogue and worship halls. The college invites you to worship with college theological community every Sunday from 10.30 to 12.30. for more information please visit www.vgm.org.uk
Lastly we wish you a safe flight/ journey to UK. Incase of any clarification before you travel or you need any assistance contact us on +44 208 986 7879 and we will be ready to assist you.


for a detailed map click here

By Bus:

From Stratford take Bus No. 276 towards Stokenewington and alight at Hackneywick Station and from there is one minute walk to Vision College.

By Train:

From Stratford take Silverlink Train towards Richmond, just one stop from Stratford Station and alight at Hackneywick Station, get out of the Station and turn right it’s just one minute walk to Vision College.

about us | courses | prospective students | students' union | partnership | job opportunities
Vision College 2007-9 |Design : mooz-link.com

Vision College cannot be held responsible for the content of any externally linked websites.